Tuesday, January 02, 2007

The Execution of Saddamn Hussein

Curiousity got the better of me and I watched the execution of this miserable person. Go to Ogrish.com and you can see it too - the drop and the immediate aftermath photos of the former dictator's dead face. His demeanor and facial expression throughout the proceeding was devoid of fear. He was resigned to his fate. He got a better death than most of his victims.

But the whole business of watching the preparation for the execution and the actual hanging made me ill. You are watching someone prepare another being to be killed. Murdered. It was creepy. My mind went back to watching each of the Twin Towers collapse in 2001 knowing that I was witnessing a mass murder.

I have no sympathy for Hussein. I believe it a far worse punishment to have kept the man in isolation in a tiny cell for the rest of his life, being held prisoner by his much hated captors. The death sentence was too easy. That's my principal reason for opposing capital punishment in the first place for the most heinous of criminals. The other reason I oppose is it is because those who are less economically fortunate can wind up on Death Row simply because they could not afford the defense they needed.

Politics is what doomed Hussein from the start. There are equally notorious leaders throughout the Middle East and Asia who are every bit as bad as Hussein but the U.S. does business with them so they are given a pass.

Does that make sense to you?

No comments: