Blog Archive

Monday, May 01, 2006

In the Sandals of Lawrence of Arabia

Saturday and Sunday I was on shoot for the indie film Nora's Choice written and directed by my friend Elizabeth Abell. It will be interesting to see how I am credited at the end of all this since I have written dialogue for this film, assisted with the creation of the trailer and carried gear to and from shoots.

We shot several small but important scenes at Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. Sun-wise we could not have asked for a better day to shoot. However, the wind and blowing sand on the beach was another matter and made things a tad difficult. When you have expensive (and sensitive) camera equipment you have to ensure that you have the equipment covered with material designed for that purpose and that the sand doesn't blow into the crevices and nooks of all the equipment.

We were not recording any audio other than the sound of the waves crashing on shore. The dialogue is going to be dubbed in later. This saved us an enormous headache trying to achieve clear audio on a windy day with sand making noise as it struck different materials. The actors had to walk along the water's edge, allowing the ocean to wrap itself around their feet. I might add that they were supposed to pretend it was warm. They did an excellent job considering they were wearing skimpy outfits for the shoot.

I was not prepared for how tired I was at the end of the day. It's a real workout running around on the sand, carrying and setting up equipment, for several hours.

I'm excited to see how this film turns out. On the basis on Elizabeth's trailer for the film, she has gotten inquiries about other potential projects. I'm working on the marketing end of things when I am not involved in writing projects.

Back to the office today as a legal records analyst. A job I really enjoy doing.

And no sand!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nancy, I came across this online, and since I was also in Nora's Choice.. did Elizabeth drop the project before completion? The trailer was the last thing I saw.

I am also a big Jonathan Frid fan! I'm clicking on your link now, to check it out..thank you!!