Blog Archive

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

A Day With No Rain!

I've been offline pretty much all weekend including most of today. Part of that is because the weather has been so unpredictable and I'm afraid of getting the computer fried in a lightening strike. On Saturday, the day was actually sunny with no rain predicted! Off we went to a town called Jim Thorpe in Pennsylvania, a little past Allentown. It is one of the most photographed towns in the country. Why? Beautiful hills and valleys are featured in this old mining town. The town was renamed Jim Thorpe after the famous athlete in 1954 even though, prior to being buried there, Mr. Thorpe had not set foot in the town before.

We took a train ride through the hills and I was envious watching folks in rafts going down the white water coursing through the town. This area is famous for skiing in the winter and in the summer months camping, biking, hiking and white water rafting brings in the tourists. My problem is that I don't have any friends male or female who want to go white water rafting with me. I tend to not to coerce friends in doing something she or he is hesitant to do only because I don't want to hear the individual scream like a little girl for the duration of the activity. I need to seek out more athletically inclined friends for such activities. It was hard watching people riding the white water and only being an observer.

Very early Sunday morning another fierce thunderstorm ripped into our area and, again, woke me up. By the end of the day, we had yet another storm lasting 45 minutes during which it downed trees and added yet more flooding misery to local residents. Earlier this evening (Tuesday), we had more storms that uprooted trees from the already saturated ground.

On another note, it seems that the Strattera I'm taking for ADHD is slowly having its effect. I was able to focus for a long time on a very tedious task today that absolutely had to get done and I had no interest in doing. That's progress!

No barbecue today to celebrate July 4th. It is too stinkin' hot for such things. So it's air conditioning and the good ol' oven for ribs and sweet potatoes to honor the birth of our nation.

Happy 4th!

No comments: