Blog Archive

Thursday, February 02, 2012

Fading of the Cries and new inspiration

I watched the fantasy flick "Fading of the Cries" last night, courtesy of Netflix, and I was quite taken with it.  In fact, I watched it twice.  My old favorite Brad Dourif did not disappoint in his grand bizarreness.  The script and directing choices held my interest both times I viewed the film.  It inspired some thoughts in the "what if" category and I busily made notes for a future writing endeavor.  I have stopped the habit of getting a fresh batch of ideas for another writing project I have sketched out and stopping what I am doing.  I have found if I record ideas by voice or scribbling the ideas still move me down the road when I re-visit the burst of thoughts.

My renewed determination in finishing scripts reminds of the days back in the late 1970s and very early 1980s when I would spend two and three hours a night down in my basement "office" typing away.  I got so much done then because of that focus.  I got somewhere with the writing and anytime I have focused like that on anything, I have gotten somewhere with it - at least where I wanted to go with the material in terms of presenting it publicly.  I have gotten much better at tuning out or redirecting potential distractions.

I have also noticed my focus is significantly improved in the evenings when I do not have caffeine or sugary items after 11 a.m.  The difference is quite amazing actually.

The one act play is now in its second draft.  I'm beyond thrilled with it.

No comments: