Blog Archive

Monday, November 25, 2013

Father Sean McManus

In what now seems like a lifetime ago, I am reminded about my days in the 1980s when I was involved in the Irish nationalist groups in New York and Philadelphia that was promoting freedom for Catholics in British-occupied Northern Ireland.  I wrote for a Philadelphia-based monthly called The Irish Edition (which still exists) covering everything from book and play reviews to feature stories, a visit by James Cagney and political news.  I traveled with groups to Washington D.C. and met up with a priest named Father Sean McManus who was leading the Irish National Caucus, an effort to get Washington involved with the Northern Ireland issue.  Tricky dice that - Britain being one of America's prime allies.  I recently discovered that not only is Father McManus alive and well but still very active.  He has even written a novel --

http://www.amazon.com/Mac-Ireland-Fight-Irish-Freedom/dp/1484909372

Father McManus' involvement was initially very personal.  

No comments: