Blog Archive

Monday, February 20, 2006

Writing Software: Scriptwriter's Suite Final Draft

I'm pleased to get feedback about the experience of others using writing software I've mentioned here. I'll tell you about one purchase I've been pleased about and that is the Scriptwriter's Suite that encompasses Final Draft and Final Draft AV.

Final Draft allows you to easily format scripts for film, TV and stage. (If you are unfamiliar with the formatting in the first place, check out The Daily Script to get an idea. You can also download scripts of current movies.) What I like about this script formatting tool is that I am able to focus on the content of my writing rather than the mechanics. No matter which industry you are writing a script for, there are format standards and this tool enables you to meet that standard without spending a whole lot of time fussing with it.

Final Draft AV is fantastic for writing audio visual scripts, commercials or radio material. This kind of work needs to be done in a two column format. Sure, you can set up your Word program to do this but I have yet to do that without running into problems. This particular tool eliminates annoying set-up issues that I don't have the time or patience to deal with.

You can buy these two programs separately if you have no use for the other. As with most writing software, there is a discount for students and teachers.

Has anyone else used this software?

No comments: