Blog Archive

Sunday, November 26, 2006

The Joy of Holiday Shopping

For the past few years, I have done the majority of my Christmas shopping online. One of the things I disliked about living in New York City and the holidays in general is the constant swarm of people everywhere. My patience for waiting in lines and trying to negotiate my way around a store, sidewalk or street is below zero. By the end of the journey I'm wild with irritation and ready to give Santa the finger.

So I don't do all that anymore. I shop online.

I used to not give gift certificates as gifts because I was told it implied that you couldn't be bothered shopping for a gift for that individual. I don't believe that to be true. I love receiving gift certificates to Best Buy, Circuit City, Pier Imports and other favorite stores because I almost always have a plan to purchase something there in the near future. So I'm careful about whom I give certificates or gift cards to in the event they feel slighted by the lack of a more personal touch. Maybe if I give the certificate and simultaneously hug the individual that might be enough to add the personal touch.

Or maybe not.

Fortunately too, I have family and friends who do not believe that gifts have to be given/received on Christmas Day itself to mean anything. The holiday season starts in late November and goes through the New Year. I like it like that.

I like it even better that I have high speed internet and can do my shopping while sitting in my pajamas.



Where is my gift card to the fish store?

No comments: